Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Gardening 2012

So, if you know me, I can't keep plants alive.  I've only attempted to grow patio cherry tomato's which resulted in yes, 1 tomato.  I attempted rosemary and failed.  I've killed a handfull of house plants.  Now that you know my track record, Mike wants me to join him this year in planting and caring for the garden.  Mike has a green thumb.  He grew up with a huge garden at his parents and he has had one at his house the last few years.  I will say that  I enjoyed the fresh veggies last summer and fall.  Walking outside and picking dinner is very satisfying.  This year Mike wants me to have some more ownership in the garden.  So, I'll say that I'm his apprentice.

We planted some veggies on Sunday and they are germinating in his basement.  We planted a variety of tomato's, lettuce, peppers (yellow, red, orange, purple and green), chamomile, lavender, marigolds, peas, broccoli.  We will add more plants in the coming weeks.

Mike, being the engineer that he is, built shelves and hung lights above them.  He has a heating pad under the plants and is keeping them at a good 75 degrees.  I checked on them this morning and the marigolds are coming up already!  I think this will be fun.  I will get discouraged if Mike doesn't put up a fence to keep out the deer.  I don't want them eating all our hard work.  Stay tuned for more gardening in the Staub house.




1 comment:

  1. awesome - you might be doing some planting at our house too!

    ReplyDelete